Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mixed feelings about the new Toro mag

Christopher Shulgan has posted his feelings on the online rebirth of Toro with a tale that will make freelancers' cringe and rant.

"I think it was in December 2006 that I finally got frustrated with Finkle and started swearing at him on the telephone over a pair of invoices that were going on three months overdue. I had an excuse -- Christmas was coming up, the invoices totaled around $8,000 and my wife wasn't going to get any presents if those invoices didn't come in.

The thing was, it wasn't Finkle's fault -- he had done his best to get me the money and finally just gave me Bratty's office phone number. I started bugging Bratty with incessant voice-mails explaining the situation, and at the very last minute before Christmas vacation -- I think on the 22nd of December -- I drove out to the west side of Toronto and met Bratty at a Starbuck's near his house, where he handed me the cheque. What got me was Bratty's manner. He tossed off some random comment to the effect of, he hoped I was grateful that he was going out of his way to pay me. This was an invoice that was at least three months overdue. And what gets me to this day, and what is probably the reason for my current venting, is that I didn't call him on that asshole comment."

I attended the relaunch party last night. It wasn't "happening" as of the time I left. It certainly wasn't a magazine or a journalists' gathering. I wonder if it's because of what Shulgan describes in his post?

No comments: