Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Journos ask cops to stop going undercover as journos

Caught this one on Monday, but didn't dig fast enough.

CBC says...
A group of Canadian journalists called on Ontario's minister of safety and correctional services Monday to order the Ontario Provincial Police to stop impersonating reporters.

It was recently revealed that an OPP constable pretended to be a journalist at a Mohawk rally held in conjunction with the aboriginal day of protest in 2007.


I have mixed feelings on this one. I'm sure the last thing a cop cares about is who he's pretending to be when he/she goes undercover. Still, if done frequently enough, it's going to make being a reporter a tough gig.

2 comments:

Aaron Jacklin said...

What do you think of the - can't believe I'm going to say it - media frenzy over the Greyhound murder?

Jeromy Lloyd said...

I haven't really followed a lot of it (very busy days behind me), but I can excuse some of it. I mean, the crime was really unique (in Canada) in its severity and immediate access to those who witnessed it. This stuff just doesn't happen every day and the scope of what are proving to be reliable details just boggle the mind.

However, watching every TV station do streeters on bus safety made me nauseous. In the info void created by the pre-court lull, people started spouting off and I just got angry.

I am, however, fascinated by the accused and his silence (so far), mostly because I'm waiting for reporters to start putting words in his mouth.

What about you?